Hong Kong: The fire that tapped out in seven residential buildings in Hong Kong has now turned into a major humanitarian crisis. The three-day-long rescue operation was stopped on Friday morning, but by then the deaths of 128 people had been confirmed. Increasingly than 200 people are still missing, and their families are continuously trying to get information from the authorities.
There were well-nigh 1,984 flats in these buildings, in which well-nigh 4,600 people lived. Police have started an investigation to find out how the fire tapped out in a ramified with such a large population.
The rescue team struggled for three days
The Hong Kong wardship said that fire and rescue teams remained engaged for three subsequent days, and the operation was ended at 10 am on Friday. According to Security Secretary Chris Tang, conditions were worst at the Wang Fuk Court buildings in Tai Po. He said that the teams have searched every floor, but it is moreover possible that increasingly persons may be found in remoter investigation by the police.
Many people still missing, families worried
According to a Xinhua report, increasingly than 200 people are missing. Many families are running day and night between hospitals, relief camps, and police tenancy rooms. Meanwhile, eight people associated with the renovation work have been detained by the authorities. It is so-called that there could be irregularities regarding construction materials and safety standards.
How big was the relief operation?
This operation is considered to be one of the biggest recent efforts of Hong Kong.
- 391 fire tender
- 185 ambulances
- 2,311 fire and rescue personnel
- One firefighter died, and 12 were injured.
Police said that it may take three to four weeks to well-constructed the investigation of the unshortened case.
Why did the fire spread so fast?
According to the BBC, the real reason for the spread of the fire is not yet clear, but the Styrofoam installed outside the windows is stuff viewed with suspicion.
Many survivors said that the fire watchtower did not requite timely warning; otherwise, many lives could have been saved.
Officials said the fire first tapped out in the lower part of Wang Cheong House. The foam present in the perimeter net installed there spread the fire to the unshortened woodcut within a moment. Due to the upper temperature, bamboo scaffoldings moreover unprotected fire, and their urgent pieces fell and hit other buildings as well.
Where were the people shifted?
The residents of the buildings that have been destroyed have been temporarily resettled in well-nigh 1,000 vacant flats nearby. The wardship is arranging for their vital needs.
Government relief amount
The government has spoken it will requite 200,000 Hong Kong dollars to the families of each deceased. From next week, the unauthentic families will moreover receive a living wage of 50,000 Hong Kong dollars. In addition, an emergency relief value of 10,000 Hong Kong dollars has been started for firsthand needs.

